Skip to main content

The Kind of Voices I Like to Listen To

 

Over time, I have noticed a pattern in the people I like to listen to.


They come from very different backgrounds. Some are scientists, some historians, professors, writers, activists, journalists or public intellectuals. Some speak about religion and mythology. Others talk about politics, war, society, media, science, economics or human rights.


Yet I find myself returning to a similar kind of voice.


I like people who make me think, rather than simply telling me what to think.


Curiosity before certainty


I am particularly drawn to speakers who are willing to question things that are normally accepted without examination.


Religion.


Tradition.


Nationalism.


Political ideology.


History.


Social customs.


Media narratives.


Even our own assumptions.


I don't necessarily need the speaker to reach the same conclusion that I would.


What matters more to me is the process of getting there.


What is the evidence?

Where did this idea come from?

Who wrote this history?

Why did people start believing it?

What changed over time?

Who benefits from this interpretation?

What happens to ordinary people because of it?


Those questions are often more interesting to me than the final answer.


Science and the human mind


This is one reason I enjoy science-oriented speakers such as Vaishakhan Thampi.


I am fascinated by the way science can be used to examine things that otherwise appear purely philosophical or religious.


The brain.


Consciousness.


Belief.


Superstition.


Evolution.


Human behaviour.


Why do human beings believe in supernatural explanations?


How does the brain construct meaning?


Why do societies preserve particular stories for thousands of years?


Where does genuine knowledge end and speculation begin?


These are fascinating questions because they connect science with everyday human life.


History is not the same as mythology


I am also attracted to thinkers who examine mythology and religion historically and culturally.


This is where speakers such as Sunil P. Ilayidom become interesting to me.


The Ramayana is a good example.


I grew up thinking about "the Ramayana" as though there were one fixed story.


But there are many Ramayana traditions across India and Asia. Even Malayalam has different Ramayana literary traditions.


Then another question emerges:


How did these stories change?


Why does one version describe an event differently from another?


Why does Sita have different theological meanings in different traditions?


Why does one version emphasise Rama's humanity while another emphasises his divinity?


Why do later traditions introduce ideas that aren't present in earlier texts?


These questions don't necessarily require us to either worship the story or reject it.


We can simply study it.


A great epic can be simultaneously a religious text, a literary work, a cultural memory and a historical object of study.


That complexity interests me.


People who examine power


My interest isn't limited to religion.


I also find myself drawn to people such as Arundhati Roy, Teesta Setalvad and Ram Puniyani, who examine questions of power, communalism, human rights, state institutions, inequality and political narratives.


What interests me isn't simply agreeing with them.


It is the willingness to ask uncomfortable questions:


What happens when governments become too powerful?


What happens to minorities when political identity becomes more important than citizenship?


How does propaganda work?


How does communal fear develop?


How are historical memories used politically?


What happens to people who don't have institutional power?


These questions matter regardless of which political party happens to be in power.


Media and manufactured narratives


This is also why I find Prof. Deepa Kumar interesting.


Her work on media, Islamophobia, the Middle East, imperialism and political narratives provides another lens through which to examine how public opinion is constructed.


The interesting question isn't simply:


"Is this media outlet right or wrong?"


It is:


"How does a particular narrative become normal?"


What gets repeated?


What gets omitted?


Which images are shown?


Which vocabulary is used?


Whose suffering receives attention?


Who gets described as a victim?


Who gets described as a threat?


Once you start looking at information this way, media itself becomes something worth studying.


I also like voices that explain ordinary people


Another part of my taste is people who can take complicated subjects and connect them to ordinary human experience.


This is where people such as Neha Bora appeal to me.


I enjoy speakers who can take a subject that initially appears abstract and make me think about it in terms of actual human beings, relationships, society and everyday life.


That quality matters.


Intellectual discussion doesn't have to sound like a university lecture.


Sometimes the most useful thinker is the person who can explain a complicated social question in a way that makes you recognise something you have seen in your own life.


But I don't want an echo chamber


There is one important qualification.


I don't want to listen only to people who agree with me.


That would be intellectually comfortable but intellectually dangerous.


Someone can be correct about one subject and completely wrong about another.


A historian can have political biases.


A scientist can make philosophical claims beyond their scientific expertise.


An activist can overlook inconvenient evidence.


A journalist can have an editorial perspective.


A politician can manipulate facts.


A religious scholar can interpret tradition selectively.


And a person whose politics I strongly dislike can occasionally make an excellent argument.


So I don't want a collection of people who provide me with a ready-made worldview.


I want a collection of people who provide me with different lenses.


My intellectual bookshelf is therefore somewhat unusual


If I were to describe it roughly, it might look something like this:


Science and scientific temper

Vaishakhan Thampi and other science communicators.


History and civilisation

Romila Thapar, Irfan Habib and historians who examine evidence rather than simply repeating inherited narratives.


Religion and society

Ram Puniyani and thinkers examining the relationship between religion, politics and society.


Literature, mythology and culture

Sunil P. Ilayidom and scholars who examine epics as evolving cultural traditions.


Human rights and civil liberties

Teesta Setalvad and others documenting the consequences of violence, discrimination and institutional power.


Politics, inequality and state power

Arundhati Roy and other writers willing to challenge powerful institutions.


Media and geopolitics

Deepa Kumar and thinkers examining propaganda, representation and international politics.


Everyday society and human behaviour

Speakers such as Neha Bora, who bring intellectual questions closer to ordinary human experience.


And beyond India, there are people such as Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, Howard Zinn, David Graeber and others whose work opens different windows into power, history, economics and society.


These people are not one school of thought.


That's precisely what I like about them.


What I am really looking for


Perhaps my taste can be reduced to a few principles.


I like evidence over assertion.


Questions over slogans.


Human beings over ideology.


History over invented memory.


Scientific curiosity over superstition.


Human rights over tribal identity.


Critical thinking over blind loyalty.


And most importantly:


the freedom to change one's mind when better evidence appears.


I don't want someone to give me a complete worldview and ask me to accept it.


I would rather listen to someone who gives me a new question.


Because sometimes a good question is more valuable than a confident answer.


The kind of intellectual I want to keep listening to


Not necessarily the person who agrees with me.


Not necessarily the person who is famous.


Not necessarily the person who calls themselves rational.


Rather, the person who makes me pause after the video ends and think:


"I had never looked at it that way before."


That, more than anything else, is probably the kind of speaker I enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

പുറംചട്ട നോക്കി ഒരു പുസ്തകത്തെയും വിലയിരുത്തരുത്!!

 നോവലോ കഥകളോ ഒക്കെ നമ്മളെ എന്തിൽ നിന്നോ മോചിപ്പിക്കുന്നു, നമ്മിൽ നിന്ന് തന്നെ...!! ഒരു പാട് കാണാത്ത വാതിലുകൾ ഉള്ള എന്നാൽ എന്തിനോ വേണ്ടി അലയുന്ന ഒരാവസ്ഥയാണോ ജീവിതം? ഞാൻ ആരാണ്? എന്താണ് എന്നിൽ നിന്നും മറ്റുള്ളവർ കാണുന്നതും,  നമ്മൾ ഉണ്ടാക്കുന്ന ധാരണകളുടെ വേലിക്കെട്ടുകൾ പൊട്ടിച്ചു യാഥാർഥ്യത്തിന്റെ കനലുകളിലേക്കു നമ്മെ കൊണ്ട് പോകാൻ പറ്റുന്ന മാന്ത്രിക വ്യക്തിത്വം ഒന്നുമില്ല എനിക്ക്. ലോകം എന്നെ നോക്കുമ്പോൾ, അവർ ആരെയാണ് കാണുന്നത്? ഒരു സഹായി? ഒരു ടെക്കി? ഒരു വിരസനായ വ്യക്തി? ഒരു ഉപയോഗശൂന്യനായ വ്യക്തി? ഒരു അച്ഛനോ? ഒരു ഭർത്താവോ? ഒരു മകനോ? ഒരു തൊഴിലാളിയോ? ഒരു സുഹൃത്തോ? ഒരു ദേഷ്യക്കാരനോ? ഒരു സോഷ്യലിസ്റ്റ്! മതത്തിൻ്റെ അടിമ? അതോ തനിക്കായി സമയം കണ്ടെത്താൻ കഴിയാത്ത ഒരാളെയോ? തിരക്കിൽ നിന്നും തിരക്കിലേക്ക് മാത്രം പോകുന്ന ഒരു പ്രവാസി? വാസ്തവത്തിൽ, ഞാൻ എപ്പോഴും വഹിക്കുന്ന വേദന മറക്കാൻ സഹായിക്കുന്ന എന്തോ ഒന്നിൽ - എന്തിനോടെങ്കിലും - എന്നെത്തന്നെ തിരക്കിലാക്കാൻ ശ്രമിക്കുകയാണ്. ഇപ്പോൾ കണ്ണുനീർ ഇല്ല. എനിക്ക് ഇത് ആരോടും വിശദീകരിക്കാൻ കഴിയില്ല. ഒരുപക്ഷേ എന്റെ മുൻകാല തെറ്റുകൾക്കുള്ള ശിക്ഷ ഞാൻ നിശബ്ദമായി തൂക...

അഖിലിന്റെ എഴുത്തോട്ടം

 റാം  C/O ആനന്ദി , അതൊരു വലിയ ട്രെൻഡ് ആയിരുന്നു കഴിഞ്ഞ കുറെയേറെ മാസങ്ങൾ. വീട്ടിൽ അത് വാങ്ങി വെച്ചുവെങ്കിലും, ഞാനതു വായിച്ചിരുന്നില്ല. വീണ്ടും ഒരു പുസ്തകമേളം, എല്ലാ വർഷത്തെയും പോലെ ബഹ്റൈനിൽ. ചെറിയ കലകളുടെ സമയം കഴിഞ്ഞു, എല്ലാവരും ഏതാണ്ട് കസേരകൾ ഒഴിഞ്ഞു പോകുമ്പോളാണ്, അഖിൽ പി ധർമജൻ എന്ന നവ പ്രതിഭ നമ്മുടെ മുന്നിലേക്ക് വരുന്നത്, മുപ്പത്തിയൊന്നു വയസ്സുള്ള ആ കലാകാരനെ  പരിചയപ്പെടുത്തന്നത് മുതൽ, സത്യത്തിൽ, പോകാനൊരുങ്ങിയ നമ്മളെ പിടിച്ചിരുത്തി. പതിനേഴാം വയസ്സിൽ എഴുതിയ നോവൽ, പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കാൻ ഓടിയ ഓട്ടം, അല്ല ആ നിശ്ചയ ദാർഢ്യമായിരുന്നു അഖിൽ നമ്മോടു പങ്കു വെച്ച ആ കലാ ജീവിതം. മെർക്കുറി ഐലൻഡും , ഓജോ ബോർഡും കടന്നു 2018  എന്ന അതി ഗംഭീര സിനിമയുടെ സ്ക്രിപ്റ്റും അദ്ദേഹം സ്വന്തമാക്കി. ഒരു പക്ഷെ നേരിട്ട് കേട്ടാൽ, കണ്ണുകൾ അല്പം നനയാതെ എഴുന്നേൽക്കാൻ സാധിക്കില്ല. കഥകൾക്കും നോവലുകൾക്കും ഒരു അനുപമമായ രീതി വേണമെന്നതാണ് മറ്റൊരു പ്രേത്യേകത. സദസ്സിന്റെ വലിപ്പത്തിലും അപ്പുറം അഖിലിന്റെ മനസ്സിന്റെ വലുപ്പവും, ഉറച്ച തീരുമാനത്തിന്റെ ആഴവുമായിരുന്നു അവിടുത്തെ കയ്യടികളിൽ മുഴങ്ങി കേട്ടത്. ഒരു കലാകാരന്റെ ജീവിത...

ഫ്രീഡം

നാടിനൊപ്പം നിന്നാൽ തീവ്രവാദിയും, കാടിനൊപ്പം നിന്നാൽ മാവോയിസ്റ്റും ആകുന്ന കാലത്ത്, നിലപാട് കൊണ്ടും ജീവിതം കൊണ്ടും ലഹരി പിടിപ്പിക്കുന്ന കുറെ മനുഷ്യരും ജീവിതങ്ങളും... ലിജീഷിൻ്റെ കഞ്ചാവ് തരുന്ന ലഹരിയും, അതു പുതുതായി പരു വപ്പെടുത്തുന്ന വികാരങ്ങളും വേറൊരു മണ്ഡലത്തിലാണ് നമ്മെ കൊണ്ടെത്തിക്കുന്നത്.